Skip to main content

Autonomy and Entitlement

Kenzo got a hand-delivered letter from his friend Ibuki-kun that said, "Kenzo-kun, I like you. From Ibuki." In hiragana of course.

So he decided he wanted to write a letter back.

As I was finishing up my work and starting to get dinner ready, Kenzo was doing his best to write his letter. Eri put a poster up on the wall of the hiragana characters, so Kenzo was consulting it and asking me from across the living room which characters matched certain sounds so he could put the words together. He knows how to say what he wants. Writing it out is something he is just starting to learn.

He gets frustrated easily when he can't do something he really has his mind set on doing, like writing a letter to his friend stating that he also, indeed, likes him back.

Kenzo got the first part down all by himself. He was able to write his name and Ibuki-kun's name in hiragana on his own, probably by copying utilizing his understanding of the characters he can already recognize but not quite produce himself from memory. He just needed me to help him with the "to" and "from" terms as well as the main message itself.

So I took a quick break from preparing dinner. It's mostly just microwaving anyway. I used a separate piece of paper and wrote へ on it and said put this after Ibuki-kun's name because this means "To". He copied it perfectly. Then I wrote より and told Kenzo to write this after your name because this means "From". He got a little frustrated because his よ looked like a ま though and almost gave up.

I told him it was fine and that Ibuki-kun would understand what it says. Then I wrote だいすきだよ (I like you) for Kenzo to copy into his letter and he succeeded brilliantly. 

Then he wanted one of the nice decorative letter bags that Eri has tucked somewhere but I don't know where they are and Kenzo got upset because he's six years old, impatient, and irrational. Eri set him up grandly when she got back.

Earlier Kenzo came up to my office and made his daily request for a coloring sheet. This time, to my surprise, he didn't want Cars. He wanted his favorite character from Monsters, Inc

I printed it out for him and he hopped back downstairs and got to work.

A little while later he came back up and said he needed tape so he could add his new coloring sheet work of art to his bunk bed gallery. I was in a meeting so I muted Zoom and told Kenzo, "Awesome possum buddy, here's the tape, off you go."


Kenzo seems to see writing in English as some sort of puzzle. With Japanese it's actually sort of easier; each character has a sound. English blending and segmenting of words is a totally different skill, and Kenzo loves it.

The thing I love the most is that he's not afraid to be wrong. 

He wrote by himself, using his rudimentary phonemic awareness, the name of his favorite character after he colored him. Mike Wazowski. He also doodled some random hiragana.

Kenzo seems to have the autonomy and entitlement to get things done in spite of adversity, which is something I have to foster. I worry about his mental resilience sometimes. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

lookin tired/feelin good

I can't even read the clock right. Eri: "You're going to soccer, right? Aren't you a bit early?" Me: "Yeah! We usually leave at this time and get there right on time. We gotta go! Let's go guys!" Soccer club starts at 10 a.m. The boys know that when the long hand on the clock gets to the 8 (9:40) it's time to go to the bathroom and get our socks and shoes on and head down to the car. The big hand was on 8. The problem that Eri saw was the short hand. It was 8:40, not 9:40. I'm going nuts. Slowly . Rapidly. An hour later, after I slowly enjoyed my coffee and disposed of the last beetle (yes, all four beetles have now gone back to the earth) and cleaned his bug box to make room for new bug acquisitions and the boys chilled out on the sofa watching TV, we set off. While the boys played soccer I headed across the parking lot to grab them some juice boxes for a job well done. This is not standard procedure, but Kenzo made his comeback today after ...

Experiences I Will Never Know About

Eri and I were checking out one of Kenzo's school notebooks tonight. This page has so much going on, and I love all of it. It made me realize something that I can easily forget - he's a person. He has a life separate from mine, lives each day having experiences that I will never know about, and has thoughts and ideas that I can't nor should get in the way of. "Thank you for doing everything," she said. Eri walked with me this morning as I went around the neighborhood and delivered planter box maintenance information and schedules to various folks.  We stopped at the first house and I rang the doorbell and handed the old lady the three-page information sheet I had made and copied and we exchanged greetings and then I realized this is going to take forever if I ring every single person’s doorbell and chit-chat with them. I’ve got 20+ more of these to hand out.  So we started just sticking them in people's mailboxes and made better time. Most folks aren’t home an...

Hug, Kiss, Comfort, and Joke

I clicked Osamu into his five-point harness child seat and gave him a kiss.  "Have a great day, dude." "Have a good day, papa!" Kenzo does his own child seat seat belt clicking, but he still gets a kiss and a high-five. "Have a good day, papa!" Kisses all around. Eri comes racing down the steps and gets in the car, which I have already started. I stand watch at the foot of the driveway and check for cars and college kids on bicycles racing by and give her the all-clear signal and she's off. Then I race back inside, fix up my coffee, dump the filter and grinds into the trash and since it's Monday take the trash out. Eri takes the boys to the kindergarten bus stop. She'll be back in about twenty minutes. I gotta get ready for work and get my morning walk in. This morning it was misty rain. Not really rain, mostly mist. I took my umbrella with me, but I didn't use it. It doesn't help. The moisture is in the air. It comes at you from all ...