Skip to main content

Keeping the Mood Light

Last month, after years and years of hemming and hawing over it, I went to see a cardiologist about my sleep apnea and snoring. It's been getting so bad. I sleep tons and feel tired when I wake up. I doze off during the day and often take long naps that never really refresh me. I see photos of myself from even just 5 or 6 years ago and my eyes are different. My face is different.

The other day a package arrived. It was a sleep testing device. I made sure to read the instructions more than once and last night I did it. There was a thing I had to attach to my left index finger with a device that I wore like a big clunky watch and a wire that I taped to my arm all the way up under my pajama sleeve that had a diode on the end that I stuck to my chest. 

At some point while I was sleeping one of the wires got detached. Oh well. I sent it back to the doctor this morning so we'll see what happens. I might have to do it again. I just feel good about taking steps to do something about this. 

I cleaned and repaired the trash station this morning. It's been on my to-do list for a month. As the Vice-Chairman and General Affairs Manager of our neighborhood association (only for a little longer) it's my duty. Also no one else was volunteering.

I invited the boys to come help me but Osamu wasn't into it and Kenzo asked, "Will you pay me?"

Seriously.

So I was like well you guys I thought maybe you'd just like to be nice helpers for papa on this sunny (albeit chilly) Monday holiday morning.

Nope.

But I really did need an assistant so I said hey Kenzo meet me in the front hall and he comes over as I'm putting on my jacket and neck warmer and I told him there's 50 yen in it for you and more if you do a really good job,

At first he wasn't interested but after I went outside and started my work he ran out and joined me and he was... "helpful". He earned his 50 yen but I had to break it to him that he wasn't getting a bonus this time.

I get it. He's on the tail end of a busy long weekend, it's cold, the park is all gross with melting snow, and he seems to be experiencing a little bit of 8-year-old boy ennui. I did my best to not give him a hard time. Being a little kid is hard enough without papa making it harder.

I actually got kinda hot and sweaty out there even though it was 3 degrees. I took off my hat and neck warmer. Kenzo did pretty well with cleaning out detritus from the trash cage but he eventually pooped out and I spent the next 45 minutes replacing netting that keeps crows from getting their clever beaks on the trash. I am proud to say our trash area has never looked better or been so ready for crow season.

As I was wrapping up my valiant work Eri came outside and told me her mom was coming over. I gave her a knowing look. Eri isn't a fan of certain things, one of them being last minute visits and another being certain members of her immediate family. As always, though, I said "Great!" and it turned out her brother came too and we all went down the street for sushi and while Eri was stressing about family stuff I did what I do: double down on the self-deprecating humor to keep the mood light and distract from the weird vibes. Luckily weird vibes rarely affect me. In normal human interactions that's not usually a good quality but luckily I don't have that many normal human interactions so it has served me well.


The boys don't disappoint with their picture time faces.
Later on at sunset Osamu and I hung out in the driveway kicking the ball.


He called me a weirdo.


And oh nothing I made my awesome grilled cheese sandwiches for dinner.




I mean just look at this presentation. 


And since we can't finish a day without adding one thing too many it was also boys' haircut night.


Kenzo doesn't like haircuts. Eri tolerates doing it. I vacuum.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

lookin tired/feelin good

I can't even read the clock right. Eri: "You're going to soccer, right? Aren't you a bit early?" Me: "Yeah! We usually leave at this time and get there right on time. We gotta go! Let's go guys!" Soccer club starts at 10 a.m. The boys know that when the long hand on the clock gets to the 8 (9:40) it's time to go to the bathroom and get our socks and shoes on and head down to the car. The big hand was on 8. The problem that Eri saw was the short hand. It was 8:40, not 9:40. I'm going nuts. Slowly . Rapidly. An hour later, after I slowly enjoyed my coffee and disposed of the last beetle (yes, all four beetles have now gone back to the earth) and cleaned his bug box to make room for new bug acquisitions and the boys chilled out on the sofa watching TV, we set off. While the boys played soccer I headed across the parking lot to grab them some juice boxes for a job well done. This is not standard procedure, but Kenzo made his comeback today after ...

Experiences I Will Never Know About

Eri and I were checking out one of Kenzo's school notebooks tonight. This page has so much going on, and I love all of it. It made me realize something that I can easily forget - he's a person. He has a life separate from mine, lives each day having experiences that I will never know about, and has thoughts and ideas that I can't nor should get in the way of. "Thank you for doing everything," she said. Eri walked with me this morning as I went around the neighborhood and delivered planter box maintenance information and schedules to various folks.  We stopped at the first house and I rang the doorbell and handed the old lady the three-page information sheet I had made and copied and we exchanged greetings and then I realized this is going to take forever if I ring every single person’s doorbell and chit-chat with them. I’ve got 20+ more of these to hand out.  So we started just sticking them in people's mailboxes and made better time. Most folks aren’t home an...

Hug, Kiss, Comfort, and Joke

I clicked Osamu into his five-point harness child seat and gave him a kiss.  "Have a great day, dude." "Have a good day, papa!" Kenzo does his own child seat seat belt clicking, but he still gets a kiss and a high-five. "Have a good day, papa!" Kisses all around. Eri comes racing down the steps and gets in the car, which I have already started. I stand watch at the foot of the driveway and check for cars and college kids on bicycles racing by and give her the all-clear signal and she's off. Then I race back inside, fix up my coffee, dump the filter and grinds into the trash and since it's Monday take the trash out. Eri takes the boys to the kindergarten bus stop. She'll be back in about twenty minutes. I gotta get ready for work and get my morning walk in. This morning it was misty rain. Not really rain, mostly mist. I took my umbrella with me, but I didn't use it. It doesn't help. The moisture is in the air. It comes at you from all ...