Skip to main content

Packed Saturday

That noise in your brain when the dental hygienist is scraping your teeth. Fingernails on a chalkboard, but inside your skull.

I'm sitting in the dentist's chair (they keep getting comfier) and the lady is sandblasting the plaque off the back end of my lower jaw and there's music playing and it's "Danger Zone" by Kenny Loggins. It's 2022 and I am getting my teeth cleaned at a neighborhood dentist in Sendai. Kenny Loggins. After that some recent local pop came on and I could zone out again. I enjoy it when western music randomly comes on in places where no one has a clue about the cultural context. The most extreme version of this is when super dirty rap music comes on in a Uniqlo fitting room or at the mall.

I love my dentist. In Osaka we had a great dentist, and that was one of the many things we had a hard time parting with in 2018. My amazing 1000 yen barber too. And Tsurumi Ryokuchi Park. I realize there are tons of amazing parks in the country and in the world, but Tsurumi Ryokuchi... we were blessed to live right next to it and I spent every possible moment there with baby Kenzo on my back. He did his first real walking at that park.

I'll go more into why I love my dentist (and Osaka) at some point, but for now it's enough to say that I started going there two years ago after some trial and error when we moved back to Sendai. Eri went first and sang their praises, they are a seven-minute walk down the hill from our house, and they claim to love it when Kenzo and Osamu join me to "observe" my teeth cleanings even when they go around and touch all the dental instruments and cause general havoc.

But that's not what this blog post is about.

It's about our relaxing Saturday morning, which feels so rare these days. Eri did public television exercise and the boys tried to be interested. 


It's about the boys learning how to be good brothers and good people as they make flatulence jokes and jump off the sofa like Mexican cliff divers. They grew a little more today and even though they quarrel like house cats their net gain is always love.

It's about my walk. When the boys settle down for their after lunch nap I always go out and enjoy Izumi-ku on foot. Today I walked a course that took me to Dounji Temple, then to Izumi Chuo (where I got some free samples of fried chicken), and through some back roads back up to my neighborhood.




The boys woke up soon after I got back and asked if we could go to the park. The answer was big ol' yes of course. Why not? We love the park. The only question is, which park?



We hit up 3-Chome Park because Kenzo wanted to play soccer and there's more space for that than the park in front of our house. Of course, the boys got distracted by our neighborhood friends.



The nice folks who live in front of 3-Chome Park came home from an outing and invited us in as always. I ended up practicing guitar chords in their back room with a cold can of beer while the boys played and ran amok. We are so lucky to have such kind neighborhood friends.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

lookin tired/feelin good

I can't even read the clock right. Eri: "You're going to soccer, right? Aren't you a bit early?" Me: "Yeah! We usually leave at this time and get there right on time. We gotta go! Let's go guys!" Soccer club starts at 10 a.m. The boys know that when the long hand on the clock gets to the 8 (9:40) it's time to go to the bathroom and get our socks and shoes on and head down to the car. The big hand was on 8. The problem that Eri saw was the short hand. It was 8:40, not 9:40. I'm going nuts. Slowly . Rapidly. An hour later, after I slowly enjoyed my coffee and disposed of the last beetle (yes, all four beetles have now gone back to the earth) and cleaned his bug box to make room for new bug acquisitions and the boys chilled out on the sofa watching TV, we set off. While the boys played soccer I headed across the parking lot to grab them some juice boxes for a job well done. This is not standard procedure, but Kenzo made his comeback today after ...

Experiences I Will Never Know About

Eri and I were checking out one of Kenzo's school notebooks tonight. This page has so much going on, and I love all of it. It made me realize something that I can easily forget - he's a person. He has a life separate from mine, lives each day having experiences that I will never know about, and has thoughts and ideas that I can't nor should get in the way of. "Thank you for doing everything," she said. Eri walked with me this morning as I went around the neighborhood and delivered planter box maintenance information and schedules to various folks.  We stopped at the first house and I rang the doorbell and handed the old lady the three-page information sheet I had made and copied and we exchanged greetings and then I realized this is going to take forever if I ring every single person’s doorbell and chit-chat with them. I’ve got 20+ more of these to hand out.  So we started just sticking them in people's mailboxes and made better time. Most folks aren’t home an...

Certain Luxuries

I work from home. My office is in Osamu's future bedroom, though he doesn't know it yet. At some point a few years down the line he will probably start to yearn for his own space. For the time being he and Kenzo share the room next door and sleep in a bunk bed and have a grand time playing, roughhousing, and quarreling. As brothers are prone to do. I started the day with a two-hour meeting with an esteemed co-worker who is based in a city far away. He manages a team associated with mine, and I value our developing relationship. We're both in management positions where people depend on us, and for my part as a relatively new manager I respect and try as often as possible to seek out his advice and perspectives.  We're very different, though. We dance around the topic, but it's pretty clear that one of our differences is that I embrace ambiguity and he does not. I think that it's okay if meetings don't end with a clear solution, as long as the relationship be...