Skip to main content

Bacon-Wrapped Dirt Clod

I woke up in my "Pancakes please!" shirt determined to keep my streak going; only change shirts once a day, at bath time in the evening. 

My will was strong all morning. I got the boys ready to head off to kindergarten and went for my morning walk, stopping at Lawson for a quick protein bar snack, and arriving back at my desk to prep for my 9 a.m. meeting while I sipped coffee out of my Thermos mug.

But as the meeting time drew closer I got weak. At 8:54 I noticed on Microsoft Teams that someone had logged in and started the meeting. I hustled into the closet, grabbed a polo shirt with my company logo on it, and quickly changed out.

When all 7 of the meeting members logged in I could see that only two people were wearing a collared shirt, one of them me of course. My boss, who happens to be the president of the company, was wearing what seemed to be a sort of undershirt of the kind I would normally be wearing, but with a casual sport coat over it.

Doh! Good move. I'm using that. 

Basically, I should've stuck to my guns. And now I'm going to use the sport coat like amateur chefs use bacon. Put bacon on anything and people will eat it. Ranch dressing works too. Pour ranch dressing on spinach and any child will consume it without question. Wrap a dirt clod in bacon, same result.

It turns out my wife started writing a blog recently as well. I have no idea what she writes or where to find it, but apparently after less than a week she has hundreds of readers. She's quietly the coolest person around at all times.

She asked me the other night if I am writing a blog and I asked her why. Turns out I fell asleep at my desk and when she came in to wake me she noticed my computer screen. She didn't snoop or anything, but at a glance she could figure it out. That was apparently her inspiration for starting her own blog, which is apparently on the way to becoming phenomenally successful.

The boys are getting more and more rambunctious daily. I love it. My patience is exercised constantly, but even when they get super hyperactive and even completely nuts, I can never forget to be thankful that they are healthy and happy. Just buckling them in their car seats is a circus-like feat.


It's been a long, hectic week. My head shrinker group therapy meeting was off tonight. Glad I checked the clinic website. I don't mind wasting subway fare, but I do mind wasting positive expectations. I needed something, though, so I did an extended evening walk. My photo skills could never capture it properly, but the clouds as I crossed Route 4 at dusk were awe-inspiring.
 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

lookin tired/feelin good

I can't even read the clock right. Eri: "You're going to soccer, right? Aren't you a bit early?" Me: "Yeah! We usually leave at this time and get there right on time. We gotta go! Let's go guys!" Soccer club starts at 10 a.m. The boys know that when the long hand on the clock gets to the 8 (9:40) it's time to go to the bathroom and get our socks and shoes on and head down to the car. The big hand was on 8. The problem that Eri saw was the short hand. It was 8:40, not 9:40. I'm going nuts. Slowly . Rapidly. An hour later, after I slowly enjoyed my coffee and disposed of the last beetle (yes, all four beetles have now gone back to the earth) and cleaned his bug box to make room for new bug acquisitions and the boys chilled out on the sofa watching TV, we set off. While the boys played soccer I headed across the parking lot to grab them some juice boxes for a job well done. This is not standard procedure, but Kenzo made his comeback today after ...

Experiences I Will Never Know About

Eri and I were checking out one of Kenzo's school notebooks tonight. This page has so much going on, and I love all of it. It made me realize something that I can easily forget - he's a person. He has a life separate from mine, lives each day having experiences that I will never know about, and has thoughts and ideas that I can't nor should get in the way of. "Thank you for doing everything," she said. Eri walked with me this morning as I went around the neighborhood and delivered planter box maintenance information and schedules to various folks.  We stopped at the first house and I rang the doorbell and handed the old lady the three-page information sheet I had made and copied and we exchanged greetings and then I realized this is going to take forever if I ring every single person’s doorbell and chit-chat with them. I’ve got 20+ more of these to hand out.  So we started just sticking them in people's mailboxes and made better time. Most folks aren’t home an...

Certain Luxuries

I work from home. My office is in Osamu's future bedroom, though he doesn't know it yet. At some point a few years down the line he will probably start to yearn for his own space. For the time being he and Kenzo share the room next door and sleep in a bunk bed and have a grand time playing, roughhousing, and quarreling. As brothers are prone to do. I started the day with a two-hour meeting with an esteemed co-worker who is based in a city far away. He manages a team associated with mine, and I value our developing relationship. We're both in management positions where people depend on us, and for my part as a relatively new manager I respect and try as often as possible to seek out his advice and perspectives.  We're very different, though. We dance around the topic, but it's pretty clear that one of our differences is that I embrace ambiguity and he does not. I think that it's okay if meetings don't end with a clear solution, as long as the relationship be...