Skip to main content

Lots of Parentheses In This One

I fell asleep at my desk chair last night. It's not rare. When I used to travel all the time for work I regularly fell asleep sitting upright in the hotel desk chair. Even those crappy ones with the low back. I never once fell backwards. Usually I came to either sitting upright or with my head on the desk.

The boys were hosting a sleepover friend, though, so the circumstances were a little different. After they finally fell asleep I also dozed for a short time, though I was still in a sweaty and barbecue-smelling jinbei so it was easy enough to get motivated to go take a bath. 

After all that and checking on the boys and taking a quick walk (in the rain) to make my daily steps goal I went back to reading and fell asleep at my desk again. But around 2:30 in the morning I became sentient and brushed my teeth and went to bed for real. Eri reminded me that the boys were extra prone to waking up early on this particular day and especially high maintenance, so I needed to make sure and be ready for an early call. Oh boy.

It turns out after I conked out the boys got a bit needy in the night and Eri didn't get much sleep.

So she was a little out of commission today. Except she made an awesome pancake breakfast that these guys are hopefully gonna remember for the rest of their lives. 


We all have crazy random memories from our childhoods. I'm not trying to manufacture memories for the boys, but I am actively trying to clear the path for amazing memories to be achieved. 

I have insane neuroses (citations upon request). I'm a neat freak (citations upon request). I have clinically diagnosed anxiety. This mix, plus the other middle-age stuff, makes it challenging for me to deal with kids. But not in the way you're thinking.

In spite of all the stuff I mentioned above, I am a laid back person. Weird, right? How can you have clinical anxiety and be laid back? 

I do not know. But that's me.

(I realize it has something to do with anxiety not being the same as being anxious; kind of like how weather and climate are different. Possibly. I don't know.) 

It occurred to me today (not entirely for the first time) that I take a lot of things too easy. I don't freak out about things I should freak out about. Eri, on the other hand, takes every moment completely seriously and freaks out about everything.

(There are exceptions.)

We rounded out the boys' first sleepover hosting with some paper airplane shenanigans and bicycle riding in the street while papa finished his coffee. The kid three houses down is a major bug collector and showed us his box of mantises using a pro set of calipers. He's in first grade.




Eri needed rest so I took the boys out after our sleepover friend went home. We hit up Marumatsu. The boys love that place in the same way I loved Denny's when I was a kid. They have kids sets that the boys go crazy for, mostly for the jackpot coin that they come with. I love it because it's kid-friendly and the food is (and people laugh at me for this) not bad. The first time I met Eri's mom was at a Marumatsu. I think that may have been my first time at a Marumatsu. Maybe that's why I like it. 


Kenzo got the curry rice. Osamu got the ramen. I got the plate of fried chicken,

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

lookin tired/feelin good

I can't even read the clock right. Eri: "You're going to soccer, right? Aren't you a bit early?" Me: "Yeah! We usually leave at this time and get there right on time. We gotta go! Let's go guys!" Soccer club starts at 10 a.m. The boys know that when the long hand on the clock gets to the 8 (9:40) it's time to go to the bathroom and get our socks and shoes on and head down to the car. The big hand was on 8. The problem that Eri saw was the short hand. It was 8:40, not 9:40. I'm going nuts. Slowly . Rapidly. An hour later, after I slowly enjoyed my coffee and disposed of the last beetle (yes, all four beetles have now gone back to the earth) and cleaned his bug box to make room for new bug acquisitions and the boys chilled out on the sofa watching TV, we set off. While the boys played soccer I headed across the parking lot to grab them some juice boxes for a job well done. This is not standard procedure, but Kenzo made his comeback today after ...

Experiences I Will Never Know About

Eri and I were checking out one of Kenzo's school notebooks tonight. This page has so much going on, and I love all of it. It made me realize something that I can easily forget - he's a person. He has a life separate from mine, lives each day having experiences that I will never know about, and has thoughts and ideas that I can't nor should get in the way of. "Thank you for doing everything," she said. Eri walked with me this morning as I went around the neighborhood and delivered planter box maintenance information and schedules to various folks.  We stopped at the first house and I rang the doorbell and handed the old lady the three-page information sheet I had made and copied and we exchanged greetings and then I realized this is going to take forever if I ring every single person’s doorbell and chit-chat with them. I’ve got 20+ more of these to hand out.  So we started just sticking them in people's mailboxes and made better time. Most folks aren’t home an...

Friends and Co-workers

Taking a random Wednesday off from work means Thursday is going to be extra busy, and today was that. I was in meetings for a little over five hours and just barely managed to reply to emails that needed attention and attend to tasks that require daily steps forward. I have it so good because the people I work with are my friends. We even talked about this today in a meeting about our team culture. We do a solid amount of professional development and core values driven discussions. Officially, I am the manager, so my position has a certain nuance. For example, I know I'm not part of conversations that team members have amongst each other. And that's fine. It's natural. I trust everyone, as I would trust any friend, that they all have the best interests of each other and our organization at heart. They never let me down. The first meeting of the day was a two hour book study session. My team is passionate about growth, so we choose a book regularly, make a schedule, and meet...