Skip to main content

Fifty Times Dirtier

Checking on the boys after they went to bed, I pulled Osamu's thumb out of his mouth, and he talked in his sleep, saying, "Kenzo's bugs."


I would give away all my earthly possessions to see Osamu's dreams.


The original plan for today was a barbecue at Michinoku Park in Kawasaki Town. Then yesterday I realized it might be better to scale back just a little, since the boys are going to want to focus on playing in the water. The barbecue area is kind of inconvenient for that, so I decided to make it a cooler box picnic with snacks.

However, this morning we had to cancel the trip entirely. Kenzo had a temperature of 39.9 and was visibly unwell.


Eri and I have very different ways of doing things, and she was appropriately annoyed with me. 

Since our boys day plan to go to the park was canceled and it's a bit early to set up the big summer swimming pool, she got the little pool out of the closet so that Osamu and Kenzo, if he was feeling better, could do some water play on this hot, sunny day. Apparently, however, I did it wrong. 

Eri is meticulous, especially when it comes to the boys. 


I blew up the pool and started filling it with water and invited Osamu to come out and play. Eri started heating up the hot water pot because she wanted the pool to be nice and comfy. She's a better mother than I am a father. However, I feel that it doesn't really matter if the water is a little chilly because that's the point on a hot day. She wants it to be nice and comfortable, and I understand that. I just don't agree enough to change my ways.





Then Osamu put his sandals in the water, and I'm okay with that, too. Eri is not. She says it's dirty, and again I agree. I should have more serious feelings about things like that, but I don't. If we had played in the water at the park, it would be about 50 times dirtier because there are tons of kids, many of whom I assume have not bathed in the last 24 hours. They might have played with animals covered in dander, and many of them are wearing sandals that they may have just come from a livestock auction in.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

lookin tired/feelin good

I can't even read the clock right. Eri: "You're going to soccer, right? Aren't you a bit early?" Me: "Yeah! We usually leave at this time and get there right on time. We gotta go! Let's go guys!" Soccer club starts at 10 a.m. The boys know that when the long hand on the clock gets to the 8 (9:40) it's time to go to the bathroom and get our socks and shoes on and head down to the car. The big hand was on 8. The problem that Eri saw was the short hand. It was 8:40, not 9:40. I'm going nuts. Slowly . Rapidly. An hour later, after I slowly enjoyed my coffee and disposed of the last beetle (yes, all four beetles have now gone back to the earth) and cleaned his bug box to make room for new bug acquisitions and the boys chilled out on the sofa watching TV, we set off. While the boys played soccer I headed across the parking lot to grab them some juice boxes for a job well done. This is not standard procedure, but Kenzo made his comeback today after ...

Experiences I Will Never Know About

Eri and I were checking out one of Kenzo's school notebooks tonight. This page has so much going on, and I love all of it. It made me realize something that I can easily forget - he's a person. He has a life separate from mine, lives each day having experiences that I will never know about, and has thoughts and ideas that I can't nor should get in the way of. "Thank you for doing everything," she said. Eri walked with me this morning as I went around the neighborhood and delivered planter box maintenance information and schedules to various folks.  We stopped at the first house and I rang the doorbell and handed the old lady the three-page information sheet I had made and copied and we exchanged greetings and then I realized this is going to take forever if I ring every single person’s doorbell and chit-chat with them. I’ve got 20+ more of these to hand out.  So we started just sticking them in people's mailboxes and made better time. Most folks aren’t home an...

Friends and Co-workers

Taking a random Wednesday off from work means Thursday is going to be extra busy, and today was that. I was in meetings for a little over five hours and just barely managed to reply to emails that needed attention and attend to tasks that require daily steps forward. I have it so good because the people I work with are my friends. We even talked about this today in a meeting about our team culture. We do a solid amount of professional development and core values driven discussions. Officially, I am the manager, so my position has a certain nuance. For example, I know I'm not part of conversations that team members have amongst each other. And that's fine. It's natural. I trust everyone, as I would trust any friend, that they all have the best interests of each other and our organization at heart. They never let me down. The first meeting of the day was a two hour book study session. My team is passionate about growth, so we choose a book regularly, make a schedule, and meet...