Skip to main content

Ulterior Motives

Mr. Chihuahua stopped by. I had never seen him wear a necktie before.

Eri and I were talking about him recently. We were afraid maybe his health wasn’t good. He’s an old guy who lives a few blocks away and he walks his chihuahua Sakura-chan by our house every morning and every evening. But we haven’t seen him in a couple of months. 

I pass by his house sometimes on walks and was morbidly on the lookout for one of those signs that people put out here that somebody has passed away. 

Turns out he’s fine. Very fine. Thank goodness. But it also turns out that Sakura-chan might not be so fine. We told him we were worried about him, and he said that his chihuahua hasn’t felt like walking recently and her health may not be very good. 

I don’t know what his job is, but he wears a necktie for it. I thought he was retired. Whatever he does, he rides a scooter there and this morning he stopped in front of our house for the sole purpose of delivering snacks to the boys.


And then we proceeded to embark on a glorious Saturday. First day of July. Birthday month. No soccer. Just pure at-home, early summer, mid-rainy-season fun.


Kenzo goes through waves of being in need of mama and being in need of papa. This morning he was in need of papa. I don't begrudge it when he rejects me, but I absolutely soak it up when he needs me.


Eri was gonna serve up some avocados to the boys, but the avocados turned out to be not quite ripe yet. So she did her magic with a recipe for rescuing hard avocados and I was the beneficiary. It turned out to be one of the best breakfasts I have ever had.


Then came the main event.


For the third year in a row, and this time scheduled perfectly, we headed up the back road from our house to the Takahashi Blueberry Farm



Economic times are hard, so they raised their prices a little. So we in turn informed Kenzo on the way there that he was "in kindergarten." I did some quick rationalizing because I don't want the boys to get used to the idea that lying to save money is a virtue. In the car, as Eri was explaining the plan, I reinforced the idea that we are not going to lie, but we don't have to say everything.


I distracted the boys outside while Eri got the tickets and all was well. Since Kenzo is pretty scrawny and his little brother is clearly a kindergartener nobody was the wiser. 



Plus Kenzo had ulterior motives that didn't involve eating a ton of blueberries in 45 minutes.



He brought his bug box and from the moment we alighted from the car he was on a mission to catch frogs.


And caught frog after frog. They were everywhere.


You can tell Eri was super excited as well.


After dinner it was time to celebrate summer. Jinbei and fireworks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

lookin tired/feelin good

I can't even read the clock right. Eri: "You're going to soccer, right? Aren't you a bit early?" Me: "Yeah! We usually leave at this time and get there right on time. We gotta go! Let's go guys!" Soccer club starts at 10 a.m. The boys know that when the long hand on the clock gets to the 8 (9:40) it's time to go to the bathroom and get our socks and shoes on and head down to the car. The big hand was on 8. The problem that Eri saw was the short hand. It was 8:40, not 9:40. I'm going nuts. Slowly . Rapidly. An hour later, after I slowly enjoyed my coffee and disposed of the last beetle (yes, all four beetles have now gone back to the earth) and cleaned his bug box to make room for new bug acquisitions and the boys chilled out on the sofa watching TV, we set off. While the boys played soccer I headed across the parking lot to grab them some juice boxes for a job well done. This is not standard procedure, but Kenzo made his comeback today after ...

Experiences I Will Never Know About

Eri and I were checking out one of Kenzo's school notebooks tonight. This page has so much going on, and I love all of it. It made me realize something that I can easily forget - he's a person. He has a life separate from mine, lives each day having experiences that I will never know about, and has thoughts and ideas that I can't nor should get in the way of. "Thank you for doing everything," she said. Eri walked with me this morning as I went around the neighborhood and delivered planter box maintenance information and schedules to various folks.  We stopped at the first house and I rang the doorbell and handed the old lady the three-page information sheet I had made and copied and we exchanged greetings and then I realized this is going to take forever if I ring every single person’s doorbell and chit-chat with them. I’ve got 20+ more of these to hand out.  So we started just sticking them in people's mailboxes and made better time. Most folks aren’t home an...

Certain Luxuries

I work from home. My office is in Osamu's future bedroom, though he doesn't know it yet. At some point a few years down the line he will probably start to yearn for his own space. For the time being he and Kenzo share the room next door and sleep in a bunk bed and have a grand time playing, roughhousing, and quarreling. As brothers are prone to do. I started the day with a two-hour meeting with an esteemed co-worker who is based in a city far away. He manages a team associated with mine, and I value our developing relationship. We're both in management positions where people depend on us, and for my part as a relatively new manager I respect and try as often as possible to seek out his advice and perspectives.  We're very different, though. We dance around the topic, but it's pretty clear that one of our differences is that I embrace ambiguity and he does not. I think that it's okay if meetings don't end with a clear solution, as long as the relationship be...