Skip to main content

Memories of Las Vegas

When we met grandma yesterday I was so busy with managing suitcases and bathroom breaks and dealing with the throngs of people around us at the Las Vegas Airport that I didn't have a chance to process the moment.

However, our first stop was grandma's house, and that's when it hit me. In the calmness of my mom's suburban Vegas condo.


Kenzo and Osamu know grandma from our FaceTime chats, but they haven't seen her in person in nearly five years. Kenzo claims he remembers, but Osamu was just a few months old and definitely doesn't.


Today we slept late again. My excuse is jet lag. I'm generally bad at waking up at any hour regardless of the time zone. Luckily Eri and the boys were right with me. I've never seen them sleep like that. It must've been 10 a.m. before we were really up and at 'em.


Grandma had a previous, particularly awesome, engagement tonight, so that allowed us a little more time to adjust to the time and recuperate from the journey we undertook. We went to the pool in the morning, met grandma for lunch, then napped.

Actually I napped and Eri and the boys made a second visit to the pool, and when they returned to the room I was just sort of waking up and I could hear Kenzo saying, "Papa's still sleeping!"


Eri decided we should all go across the street and do some shopping, but even before we got to the crosswalk the boys were pretty upset by the 43 degree heat. So we sent mama off to do some quiet, relaxing shopping and the boys and I headed back to the room, changed into our swimsuits, and hit the pool again. All the way until they closed at 7 p.m.


As a little kid I can remember visiting this place with my family. Some memories are from over 40 years ago. One time we were on a cross-country car trip and stayed here.


I trust Kenzo and Osamu will come away with some similar, but of course different, memories of Las Vegas.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

lookin tired/feelin good

I can't even read the clock right. Eri: "You're going to soccer, right? Aren't you a bit early?" Me: "Yeah! We usually leave at this time and get there right on time. We gotta go! Let's go guys!" Soccer club starts at 10 a.m. The boys know that when the long hand on the clock gets to the 8 (9:40) it's time to go to the bathroom and get our socks and shoes on and head down to the car. The big hand was on 8. The problem that Eri saw was the short hand. It was 8:40, not 9:40. I'm going nuts. Slowly . Rapidly. An hour later, after I slowly enjoyed my coffee and disposed of the last beetle (yes, all four beetles have now gone back to the earth) and cleaned his bug box to make room for new bug acquisitions and the boys chilled out on the sofa watching TV, we set off. While the boys played soccer I headed across the parking lot to grab them some juice boxes for a job well done. This is not standard procedure, but Kenzo made his comeback today after ...

Experiences I Will Never Know About

Eri and I were checking out one of Kenzo's school notebooks tonight. This page has so much going on, and I love all of it. It made me realize something that I can easily forget - he's a person. He has a life separate from mine, lives each day having experiences that I will never know about, and has thoughts and ideas that I can't nor should get in the way of. "Thank you for doing everything," she said. Eri walked with me this morning as I went around the neighborhood and delivered planter box maintenance information and schedules to various folks.  We stopped at the first house and I rang the doorbell and handed the old lady the three-page information sheet I had made and copied and we exchanged greetings and then I realized this is going to take forever if I ring every single person’s doorbell and chit-chat with them. I’ve got 20+ more of these to hand out.  So we started just sticking them in people's mailboxes and made better time. Most folks aren’t home an...

Friends and Co-workers

Taking a random Wednesday off from work means Thursday is going to be extra busy, and today was that. I was in meetings for a little over five hours and just barely managed to reply to emails that needed attention and attend to tasks that require daily steps forward. I have it so good because the people I work with are my friends. We even talked about this today in a meeting about our team culture. We do a solid amount of professional development and core values driven discussions. Officially, I am the manager, so my position has a certain nuance. For example, I know I'm not part of conversations that team members have amongst each other. And that's fine. It's natural. I trust everyone, as I would trust any friend, that they all have the best interests of each other and our organization at heart. They never let me down. The first meeting of the day was a two hour book study session. My team is passionate about growth, so we choose a book regularly, make a schedule, and meet...