Skip to main content

All Things Must Pass

Saturday mornings belong to soccer. Kenzo and Osamu love it, and they’re both getting so good. Kenzo, especially, is coming into his own. Less hesitant, more willing to get into the thick of things. He’s still careful, but the fear of getting hurt is fading, little by little. It’s wonderful to see his confidence grow.


After soccer, we headed straight for the coast, stopping at a supermarket to grab some lunch. The boys know the routine... eat first, then play. That seaside park has become one of our favorite spots, a place where time slows down just enough to feel it. It's also super windy all the time so it's a great spot for flying kites.

But the main event today was a trial horseback riding lesson. Osamu was all in from the start. He never seems to hesitate with new things, just jumps right in, full of excitement. Kenzo, on the other hand, was nervous. He gave it a shot, but in the end, decided that horseback riding wasn’t for him. Not today, at least. I get it. Horses are big, and climbing on one is no small thing. Even adults feel that hesitation. 


Mr. Sato, the instructor, was patient and super knowledgeable, which made it all the more tempting to sign up. But after sitting through the sales pitch, Eri and I decided to pass for now. Soccer and Friends Club are enough, and horse riding school isn’t exactly cheap. Maybe another time.










It all wrapped up with a sunset drive home. Mama had dinner waiting, and the boys, exhausted, barely made it through bath time before collapsing into bed. Even Kenzo, who usually takes forever to fall asleep, was out like a light.

Somewhere on the drive, George Harrison’s All Things Must Pass came on. That song has this quiet, gentle inevitability to it, a reminder to me that everything, both the good and the hard, keeps moving. Watching the boys today, I felt it. Kenzo is growing braver, Osamu keeps charging ahead, and these long, full days together won’t last forever. That’s the way of things. They’ll outgrow soccer, they’ll move on from their favorite parks, they’ll find new passions, friends, things that will replace mama and papa. And one day, even if it seems impossible now, they’ll stop needing me to be the one driving them home at sunset.


But today, they do. So for now, I’ll savor these moments, knowing that just like everything else, they too will pass.

And spring is sprouting.


All things must pass
None of life's strings can last
So I must be on my way 
And face another day

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

lookin tired/feelin good

I can't even read the clock right. Eri: "You're going to soccer, right? Aren't you a bit early?" Me: "Yeah! We usually leave at this time and get there right on time. We gotta go! Let's go guys!" Soccer club starts at 10 a.m. The boys know that when the long hand on the clock gets to the 8 (9:40) it's time to go to the bathroom and get our socks and shoes on and head down to the car. The big hand was on 8. The problem that Eri saw was the short hand. It was 8:40, not 9:40. I'm going nuts. Slowly . Rapidly. An hour later, after I slowly enjoyed my coffee and disposed of the last beetle (yes, all four beetles have now gone back to the earth) and cleaned his bug box to make room for new bug acquisitions and the boys chilled out on the sofa watching TV, we set off. While the boys played soccer I headed across the parking lot to grab them some juice boxes for a job well done. This is not standard procedure, but Kenzo made his comeback today after ...

Experiences I Will Never Know About

Eri and I were checking out one of Kenzo's school notebooks tonight. This page has so much going on, and I love all of it. It made me realize something that I can easily forget - he's a person. He has a life separate from mine, lives each day having experiences that I will never know about, and has thoughts and ideas that I can't nor should get in the way of. "Thank you for doing everything," she said. Eri walked with me this morning as I went around the neighborhood and delivered planter box maintenance information and schedules to various folks.  We stopped at the first house and I rang the doorbell and handed the old lady the three-page information sheet I had made and copied and we exchanged greetings and then I realized this is going to take forever if I ring every single person’s doorbell and chit-chat with them. I’ve got 20+ more of these to hand out.  So we started just sticking them in people's mailboxes and made better time. Most folks aren’t home an...

Hug, Kiss, Comfort, and Joke

I clicked Osamu into his five-point harness child seat and gave him a kiss.  "Have a great day, dude." "Have a good day, papa!" Kenzo does his own child seat seat belt clicking, but he still gets a kiss and a high-five. "Have a good day, papa!" Kisses all around. Eri comes racing down the steps and gets in the car, which I have already started. I stand watch at the foot of the driveway and check for cars and college kids on bicycles racing by and give her the all-clear signal and she's off. Then I race back inside, fix up my coffee, dump the filter and grinds into the trash and since it's Monday take the trash out. Eri takes the boys to the kindergarten bus stop. She'll be back in about twenty minutes. I gotta get ready for work and get my morning walk in. This morning it was misty rain. Not really rain, mostly mist. I took my umbrella with me, but I didn't use it. It doesn't help. The moisture is in the air. It comes at you from all ...