Skip to main content

Stimulus Response

I bought a carton of milk last weekend thinking I was being super proactive and helpful but the expiration date was the next day and I've been playing catch up ever since. Eri won't give any expired food to the boys because she's a good mom and all, but I have no problem with it for myself. As a matter of fact I mostly subsist on food that has transcended its expiry date. If it passes the sniff test it goes to The Garrison.


Normally in the morning I make 500ml of good strong black coffee and pour it in my thermos and ration it throughout the morning as I set about my work in my upstairs office. But that milk ain't gettin' fresher so this week I've been heating it up into a frothy froth and making lattes. Or cafe au lait. I don't know the difference. I prefer black but I gotta say hot milk in coffee is pretty good. Especially with the mushroom, onion, cheese, three-egg omelette I whipped up for brunch using more of said milk and I just about used it all up so I just did one final whiff, confirmed it was fine, and chugged the remainder straight from the carton.


Kenzo has his moments of 8-year-old angst. He has outbursts of I hate you, he can be pretty mean to his brother when he has a mind to, he doubles down on refusing to do his homework even in the face of losing TV remote privileges. I have to calmly remind myself, and Eri too of course because it really gets to her in a personal sort of way, that Kenzo is a little boy and he's going through stuff. 

Life is odd and mysterious and frustrating and amazing and surprising and sometimes really difficult and that's just for adults... for little people who are relatively new to this hootenanny it's gotta be outlandishly insane in a way that they themselves can't even process because their self-awareness is still developing and their mental functions have barely kicked in.


I don't use any of that to excuse, rationalize, or endorse naughty behavior though. Between stimulus and response there is a space, and in that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom. 

That is easier said than done, but it's gotta be done, obviously to stay sane for one, but for me most importantly to model that for the boys. I think my responses can teach the boys how to handle their own emotions and reactions. By showing them that I can stay calm and make thoughtful choices, I believe I can help them learn to do the same. But man I fail hard a lot, especially when I'm tired.

Something I've come to really embrace over the last few years is that challenging moments are an opportunity for growth... for both me and Eri and the boys. When we stop and take a breath and choose our responses carefully, we can help ourselves develop skills and foster a sense of independence and responsibility.

I've been seriously thinking about trying meditation. For now I just walk and say hi to old people and the occasional cat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

lookin tired/feelin good

I can't even read the clock right. Eri: "You're going to soccer, right? Aren't you a bit early?" Me: "Yeah! We usually leave at this time and get there right on time. We gotta go! Let's go guys!" Soccer club starts at 10 a.m. The boys know that when the long hand on the clock gets to the 8 (9:40) it's time to go to the bathroom and get our socks and shoes on and head down to the car. The big hand was on 8. The problem that Eri saw was the short hand. It was 8:40, not 9:40. I'm going nuts. Slowly . Rapidly. An hour later, after I slowly enjoyed my coffee and disposed of the last beetle (yes, all four beetles have now gone back to the earth) and cleaned his bug box to make room for new bug acquisitions and the boys chilled out on the sofa watching TV, we set off. While the boys played soccer I headed across the parking lot to grab them some juice boxes for a job well done. This is not standard procedure, but Kenzo made his comeback today after ...

Experiences I Will Never Know About

Eri and I were checking out one of Kenzo's school notebooks tonight. This page has so much going on, and I love all of it. It made me realize something that I can easily forget - he's a person. He has a life separate from mine, lives each day having experiences that I will never know about, and has thoughts and ideas that I can't nor should get in the way of. "Thank you for doing everything," she said. Eri walked with me this morning as I went around the neighborhood and delivered planter box maintenance information and schedules to various folks.  We stopped at the first house and I rang the doorbell and handed the old lady the three-page information sheet I had made and copied and we exchanged greetings and then I realized this is going to take forever if I ring every single person’s doorbell and chit-chat with them. I’ve got 20+ more of these to hand out.  So we started just sticking them in people's mailboxes and made better time. Most folks aren’t home an...

Friends and Co-workers

Taking a random Wednesday off from work means Thursday is going to be extra busy, and today was that. I was in meetings for a little over five hours and just barely managed to reply to emails that needed attention and attend to tasks that require daily steps forward. I have it so good because the people I work with are my friends. We even talked about this today in a meeting about our team culture. We do a solid amount of professional development and core values driven discussions. Officially, I am the manager, so my position has a certain nuance. For example, I know I'm not part of conversations that team members have amongst each other. And that's fine. It's natural. I trust everyone, as I would trust any friend, that they all have the best interests of each other and our organization at heart. They never let me down. The first meeting of the day was a two hour book study session. My team is passionate about growth, so we choose a book regularly, make a schedule, and meet...