Skip to main content

Intense Focus

Osamu fell down and bumped his knee during warm-up time at soccer club. Actually I don't know where he bumped, but he was upset and came over to me sobbing and said his leg hurt. I checked for blood and bruises. Nada.

Soccer club started as always with roll call. When the coach called Osamu's name he looked over at us and I said he's fine, just takin' a little break. After roll call is stretch time. Osamu and I watched all the boys and girls do their stretches. He was still sorta sobbing next to me on the bench in his coat with the hood on. I didn't try to cajole him into going back out. That always seems to have a negative effect.

After warm-up stretching the soccer club kids started their drills. The first one was running through a cone course. Suddenly Osamu got inspired, stood up, took a deep breath, and marched out onto the field to join Kenzo and the rest of the soccer club friends.

He stopped though, and ran back to me. I asked what was up, thinking maybe he wanted to take off his jacket or blow his runny nose. He pulled me down and said into my ear, "I love you papa." Then he took off and started running drills with intense focus.

Afterward, when I presented the boys with a special chocolate treat that Eri prepared, I heaped the praise on Osamu for overcoming his adversity and heading out to play. He barely seemed to remember. That was over an hour ago. He's a four-year-old who lives in the moment.

I wanted to maximize Eri's time to do her sewing in peace, plus I just love going places with the boys. We left soccer and went to play at a park we've driven past numerous times but never played at. It's a neighborhood park in Tomiya, kinda by the Cainz Home Center that we shop at sometimes, so there's no official parking. I parked on a side street out of view of the signs that said no parking and we played like crazy.


We played tag and generally ran amok under a gorgeous Saturday morning sky.


I had a dentist appointment in the afternoon. Just a routine cleaning. Apparently my teeth were pretty dirty because it took an hour. I love our dentist. They really scrape that plaque off. The head dentist who does the final check, Dr. Igarashi, is a huge soccer fan and has Vegalta Sendai decorations all over the place. He's also pretty rough with checking mouths so I make sure and properly apply chapstick before he gets a hold of me.

Eri made a delicious pot of oden tonight. 


I tried not to, but I ended up eating too much.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

lookin tired/feelin good

I can't even read the clock right. Eri: "You're going to soccer, right? Aren't you a bit early?" Me: "Yeah! We usually leave at this time and get there right on time. We gotta go! Let's go guys!" Soccer club starts at 10 a.m. The boys know that when the long hand on the clock gets to the 8 (9:40) it's time to go to the bathroom and get our socks and shoes on and head down to the car. The big hand was on 8. The problem that Eri saw was the short hand. It was 8:40, not 9:40. I'm going nuts. Slowly . Rapidly. An hour later, after I slowly enjoyed my coffee and disposed of the last beetle (yes, all four beetles have now gone back to the earth) and cleaned his bug box to make room for new bug acquisitions and the boys chilled out on the sofa watching TV, we set off. While the boys played soccer I headed across the parking lot to grab them some juice boxes for a job well done. This is not standard procedure, but Kenzo made his comeback today after ...

Experiences I Will Never Know About

Eri and I were checking out one of Kenzo's school notebooks tonight. This page has so much going on, and I love all of it. It made me realize something that I can easily forget - he's a person. He has a life separate from mine, lives each day having experiences that I will never know about, and has thoughts and ideas that I can't nor should get in the way of. "Thank you for doing everything," she said. Eri walked with me this morning as I went around the neighborhood and delivered planter box maintenance information and schedules to various folks.  We stopped at the first house and I rang the doorbell and handed the old lady the three-page information sheet I had made and copied and we exchanged greetings and then I realized this is going to take forever if I ring every single person’s doorbell and chit-chat with them. I’ve got 20+ more of these to hand out.  So we started just sticking them in people's mailboxes and made better time. Most folks aren’t home an...

Certain Luxuries

I work from home. My office is in Osamu's future bedroom, though he doesn't know it yet. At some point a few years down the line he will probably start to yearn for his own space. For the time being he and Kenzo share the room next door and sleep in a bunk bed and have a grand time playing, roughhousing, and quarreling. As brothers are prone to do. I started the day with a two-hour meeting with an esteemed co-worker who is based in a city far away. He manages a team associated with mine, and I value our developing relationship. We're both in management positions where people depend on us, and for my part as a relatively new manager I respect and try as often as possible to seek out his advice and perspectives.  We're very different, though. We dance around the topic, but it's pretty clear that one of our differences is that I embrace ambiguity and he does not. I think that it's okay if meetings don't end with a clear solution, as long as the relationship be...