Skip to main content

Just Inertness

Unless it's raining or snowing the first thing I do when I get up every morning is open all the windows upstairs and make the beds. When I head downstairs, depending on how concentrated the boys are on their current project or television program, I usually get a, "Good morning papa!" followed sometimes by a, "Why are you so late papa?"

My sleep habits are still a mess. I fell asleep at the coffee table again last night, which was rather easy since I was really tired and it was still raining outside. The sound of rain combined with a hot bath and the hot carpet and a glass of wine with my book in the living room after everyone has gone to bed.

I think it was after 3 when I perked up and brushed my teeth and snuck into bed. So when my alarm goes off at 6:30 technically I've gotten about 6 hours of sleep, but it's not good sleep. It's just inertness with my eyes closed.

Eri took the boys to the otolaryngologist, which I now know is the fancy name for the ear, nose, and throat doctor. Kenzo is doing better with the runny nose, but Osamu is the one with the diagnosed pollen allergy so his nose is still constantly running and the medicine ran out. So they came back before lunch with a huge refill of allergy medicine for little boys.

Kenzo's stomach hurt, though, so he skipped most of lunch and headed upstairs on his own to lay down. That's how I knew it was real. He never ever wants to lay down on his bunk bed during the day.


Somehow he convinced Osamu to let him have his elephant, so he had two friends to keep him cozy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

lookin tired/feelin good

I can't even read the clock right. Eri: "You're going to soccer, right? Aren't you a bit early?" Me: "Yeah! We usually leave at this time and get there right on time. We gotta go! Let's go guys!" Soccer club starts at 10 a.m. The boys know that when the long hand on the clock gets to the 8 (9:40) it's time to go to the bathroom and get our socks and shoes on and head down to the car. The big hand was on 8. The problem that Eri saw was the short hand. It was 8:40, not 9:40. I'm going nuts. Slowly . Rapidly. An hour later, after I slowly enjoyed my coffee and disposed of the last beetle (yes, all four beetles have now gone back to the earth) and cleaned his bug box to make room for new bug acquisitions and the boys chilled out on the sofa watching TV, we set off. While the boys played soccer I headed across the parking lot to grab them some juice boxes for a job well done. This is not standard procedure, but Kenzo made his comeback today after ...

Experiences I Will Never Know About

Eri and I were checking out one of Kenzo's school notebooks tonight. This page has so much going on, and I love all of it. It made me realize something that I can easily forget - he's a person. He has a life separate from mine, lives each day having experiences that I will never know about, and has thoughts and ideas that I can't nor should get in the way of. "Thank you for doing everything," she said. Eri walked with me this morning as I went around the neighborhood and delivered planter box maintenance information and schedules to various folks.  We stopped at the first house and I rang the doorbell and handed the old lady the three-page information sheet I had made and copied and we exchanged greetings and then I realized this is going to take forever if I ring every single person’s doorbell and chit-chat with them. I’ve got 20+ more of these to hand out.  So we started just sticking them in people's mailboxes and made better time. Most folks aren’t home an...

Certain Luxuries

I work from home. My office is in Osamu's future bedroom, though he doesn't know it yet. At some point a few years down the line he will probably start to yearn for his own space. For the time being he and Kenzo share the room next door and sleep in a bunk bed and have a grand time playing, roughhousing, and quarreling. As brothers are prone to do. I started the day with a two-hour meeting with an esteemed co-worker who is based in a city far away. He manages a team associated with mine, and I value our developing relationship. We're both in management positions where people depend on us, and for my part as a relatively new manager I respect and try as often as possible to seek out his advice and perspectives.  We're very different, though. We dance around the topic, but it's pretty clear that one of our differences is that I embrace ambiguity and he does not. I think that it's okay if meetings don't end with a clear solution, as long as the relationship be...